Creating good endings and new beginnings is essential to smooth leadership transitions. Once the executive director’s departure is expected or occurs, transition planning prepares the organization and its stakeholders to manage the change in leadership in ways that create stability and resilience. Essential components of transition planning include:
- transparency and active communication as critical components of succession planning in order to:
- manage organizational expectations;
- foster stakeholder commitment throughout the process;
- assist in the retention of key leaders and staff.
- incorporating change management processes into succession planning activities to:
- understand organizational tolerance for and reaction to change;
- help employees, board and other stakeholders understand their own ability to manage through a leadership change;
- provide tools, techniques and resources to support them during the process;
- prepare the organization to welcome its new leader.
The first step is to establish criteria regarding the leadership competencies, as well as the qualifications considered most desirable in the new executive. We guide the search process and provide you with a dynamic slate of outstanding candidates that match the challenges and culture of your organization. As we move through the rest of the steps, we communicate with, and guide the search committee while:
- conducting a targeted comprehensive national search for candidates who meet the leadership profile and job characteristics;
- identifying and evaluating all prospective candidates and assisting you in the selection of a finalist slate;
- guiding you through a comprehensive interview and selection process;
- ensuring a smooth executive on-boarding/integration process.